When I was a kid I loved making meringue cookies. Recently, my mother was cleaning out her recipes and came across this recipe in my handwriting from elementary school! It looks like I wrote it on a page from one of those “blue books” that we used to take exams in school. My handwriting looks nothing like that today!
Meringue cookies are so easy and uncomplicated to make. With just four ingredients they are great to make with kids. Probably the most complicated thing to do in the recipe is separate the whites from the egg yokes. I like to use an egg separator especially when cooking with my son.
My son loves to make them and they never last more than a day in my house.
If you want to make them look pretty, you can use a pipping bag and drop in “kisses shape,” however, you need to forgo the chocolate chips. They clog the pipping tip!
Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extra
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 30 degrees.
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone mat.
- Beat eggs whites with salt until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the sugar and beat until stiff.
- Fold in vanilla and chocolate chips
- Drop mixture by teaspoon full onto cookie sheet.
- Bake for 30 mintues.
- Remove from cookie sheet and cool on rack.