The editors of Delish.com published a collection of their most over-the-top desserts ever DELISH INSANE SWEETS: Bake Yourself a Little Crazy. The cookbook is packed with over 100 recipes for cookies, cupcakes, bars, and bites that are as easy to make as they are delicious.
In my interview with Editorial director, Joanna Saltz she talked about how they came up with the recipes in the book in particular the chocolate chip cookie recipe. After my interview, I baked them with my son. The recipe does not call out what type of butter, salted or unsalted. We decide to bake them both ways to see which way it came out better.
Best-ever Chocolate Chip Cookies from Delish Insane Sweets
- 1 c. 2 sticks butter
- 1 c. packed brown sugar
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 c. chocolate chips
- 3 oz. chopped chocolate
- Flaky sea salt for topping
- Preheat oven to 325° and line 2 large baking sheets with parchment.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Bring it to a boil and let boil one minute.
- Place sugars in a large bowl (or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment), then pour hot butter over sugars.
- Beat with a hand mixer until combined, 1 minute. Add egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and beat until light and creamy, 2 minutes.
- In another large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add to wet ingredients and beat until dry ingredients are almost incorporated with just a few white streaks. Add chocolates and stir until just combined.
- Using a large cookie scoop, scoop dough (about 3 tablespoons) onto prepared pans about 3” apart and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake until edges are golden and almost set in the middle, 14 to 15 minutes (Cookies will still look slightly underdone).
- Let cool on pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to cooling rack to cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.